Last Updated: July 30, 2015
- Information We Collect
- Information you provide
- Information provided by others
- Information you expressly authorize us to collect
- Technical and usage information
- How We Use Information
- Personal Information
- Non Personal Information
- How We Share Information
- Personal Information
- Background checks
- Non Personal Information
- Business transactions
- Your Choices Regarding the Sharing of your Personal Information
- Your Communication Choices
- Changing or Removing your Personal Information and Closing your Account
- Collection of Information from Children
- How We Protect Information
- Links to other Websites
- Contact Us
I. Information We Collect
- We collect both “Personal Information” and “Non Personal Information” about our users. In this policy, Personal Information is information that can be used to contact or identify you, such as your full name and email address, and information that is linked to such information. “Non Personal Information” is information that cannot be used to contact or identify you and is not linked to information that can be used to contact or identify you and includes passively collected information about your activities on our Site, such as usage data, to the extent that information is not linked to your Personal Information.
- Site Visitors can access and browse certain portions of the Site without disclosing Personal Information, although, like most websites, we passively collect certain information from your computer, such as your IP address and web browser user agent, when you browse the Site. Visitors who access and browse the Site without registering are “Site Visitors”. In order to utilize some of the Services offered by FamilyConnect.com, you must register with FamilyConnect.com. All users who register with FamilyConnect.com are “Registered Users”.
○ Information you provide
- Regardless of whether you are a Site Visitor or a Registered User, all Personal Information that you provide to us when registering, posting a job, posting a profile, communicating through the Site, discussing care options over the phone, utilizing our mobile applications or that you otherwise provide on the Site or by phone, email or postal mail, will be stored by us. You represent and warrant to us that you have the right and authority to provide us all Personal Information you provide about yourself or others. You may provide us this Personal Information in various ways, including:
1. When registering
- When you register directly through FamilyConnect.com, we will collect and store the information that you provide to us directly on our online registration forms. This may include, among other information:
- your first and last name
- your email address
- your home address
- your gender
- your birthday
- your phone number
- Some users may have the opportunity to register with FamilyConnect.com by connecting through an application programming interface (API). Please see Section I.B.4 below to learn about the information we access, collect and store if you register for FamilyConnect.com through API.
- If you register for a Service that requires you to pay a fee, FamilyConnect.com will also collect your credit card type, number, expiration date, and security code as well as your billing address for payment purposes and your birthday, if not previously provided.
5. When Requesting a Sitter
- If you are a seeking, we collect and store all of the additional information that you provide to us on your posting or that is otherwise included in an auto-generated posting. This may include, among other information:
- the type of care you are looking for, your schedule, location, hourly rate, number of children and ages (if applicable), narrative job description, requirements for a Care Provider (such as ability to drive)
- pictures you choose to provide
- health information, if you choose to provide it
- any other information you choose to include in your posting
7. When posting a profile
- When building a profile, we collect and store all of the additional information that you provide to us in your profile. This may include, among other information:
- details on the care you offer, including for example the type of care you provide, your availability, your location, your level of education, languages you speak, your ability to drive
- related services you provide
- pictures you choose to post
- your phone numbers
- references, if you choose to provide them
- any other information you choose to include in your profile
9. By telephone
- Both Site Visitors and Registered Users may provide Personal Information to FamilyConnect.com when they contact Member Care or utilize certain Services FamilyConnect.com may offer by telephone. For example, if you call a FamilyConnect.com to discuss care options over the phone, we will collect and store all of the Personal Information you chose to provide to us, including but not limited to financial information, information about the care you or your loved one needs, health information about yourself or the loved one you seek care for, your contact information, etc. If you provide information about someone other than yourself, you represent that you have authority to do so.
11. Otherwise through the Site or by telephone, email, postal mail or chat
- Certain Registered Users may provide Personal Information on the Site through other Site features and offerings such as our online communications, groups and payment platforms. In some cases, Site Visitors may have the ability to provide us Personal Information through the Site, such as contact information. In addition, both Registered Users and Site Visitors may choose to provide us additional Personal Information by phone, email, postal mail, or chat. We collect and store all of the Personal Information you provide us through these channels. Moreover, if you provide information about someone other than yourself through any of these channels, you represent that you have authority to do so.
○ Information provided by others
1. By Site Visitors, Registered Users and others
- com also captures and collects information that Site Visitors, Registered Users and others provide about each other. For example, Care Providers may invite Site Visitors, Registered Users or others to rate and indicate their relationship to the Care Provider on the Site. Additionally, certain FamilyConnect.com Registered Users may post reviews about individual Care Providers. FamilyConnect.com may also obtain and post audio recordings of Care Provider references, which may also be accessed from the Site. In addition, certain Registered Users may communicate directly with each other through FamilyConnect.com platforms. Site Visitors, Registered Users and others also may provide us information about Registered Users by phone, email or postal mail. FamilyConnect.com captures and stores all information it receives from Site Visitors, Registered Users and others about other Registered Users and Site Visitors.
3. By third parties to verify your information and representations
5. By third parties that perform background checks
7. By API if you connect to FamilyConnect.com through API
- your name
- your profile picture
- your email address
- your gender
- your birthday
- your location (i.e. city)
- the names and pictures of your OAuth friends
- your interests and affinity networks
- other information you make publicly available via OAuth
9. By service providers you use in connection with our Services
- If you engage a service provider through FamilyConnect.com, such as a home care agency or a payments processor, that service provider may provide us Personal Information about you or your loved ones such as information relating to your transactions with them.
11. By other sources
- In addition, we may obtain from other sources publicly available Personal Information, such as demographic data, and other information to enable us to comply with regulatory requirements, ensure the accuracy of data, better understand your likely interests, prevent fraud, etc.
○ Information you expressly authorize us to collect
- We may from time to time request permission for collect Personal Information from or about you. For example, if you use a FamilyConnect.com mobile application, we may request permission to access information about the contacts listed in your mobile device phone book when you initiate an address book search for friends who have downloaded the application. We may also request permission to access and store your location. If you grant your permission, we will access and or store such information unless you subsequently opt out by adjusting the settings in your mobile device.
○ Technical and usage information
1. Log files, IP addresses and information about your computer and mobile device
- When you visit the Site, FamilyConnect.com receives the internet protocol (“IP”) address of your computer (or the proxy server you use to access the internet), your computer operating system and type of web browser you are using. If you are using a mobile device, FamilyConnect.com may also receive your mobile device id (UDID), or another unique identifier, and mobile operating system. We may correlate this information with other Personal Information we have about you. Additionally, when you visit the FamilyConnect.com website we and any third parties we use to place ads on our Site automatically receive the URL of the webpage from which you came. If you click on an ad, we and any such third party may also receive the URL of the page you were on when you clicked the ad and the URL of the site associated with the ad that you clicked.
3. Cookies and other technologies
- When you visit our Site or open one of our emails, we may allow authorized third parties, such as ad servers, ad agencies, ad exchanges, ad technology vendors and research firms, to place or recognize a unique cookie, pixel, and/or similar technologies on your browser in order to provide you relevant FamilyConnect.com advertisements as you surf the Internet. These advertisements may be targeted to you based on information these authorized third parties know or infer about you and include in the cookies placed on your browser and/or information about your Internet browsing activities gathered through your browser. If you prefer not to receive these online behavioral advertisements, you may opt-out. In order for the opt-out to work, your browser must be set to accept third party cookies. Furthermore, if you buy a new computer or mobile device, change web browsers or delete the opt-out cookie, you will need to perform the opt-out task again. Please note that if you opt-out you may continue to receive FamilyConnect.com advertisements as you surf the Internet, including contextual ads based on the content on a webpage you are visiting. However, these advertisements will not be displayed based on information contained in, or collected by, cookies or other technologies placed on your browser when you visit our Site or open our emails.
- Without limiting the foregoing, we use Google Analytics to measure Site usage and improve our visitor experience. The relevant data is provided to us by Google in the aggregate (i.e. individual users are not identified) and allows us to better understand our Site audience. The Google Analytics features implemented by us allow us (i) to evaluate and generate reports on certain demographic, behavioral, and interest metrics of users collected by Google, and (ii) to create advertising remarketing audiences and campaigns based on such metrics, which may be segmented into aggregated groups.
- Visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads using the Ads Settings form at https://www.google.com/settings/ads.
8. Social media features and widgets
IV. How We Use Information
○ Personal Information
- In general, the Personal Information we collect is used (1) to improve our Services and enhance your experience with FamilyConnect.com, (2) to enable us to provide a safer community for all of our Registered Users, and (3) to help us communicate with you. For example, we may use your Personal Information to:
- register and service your account.
- include in Care Seeker job postings and Care Provider profiles.
- contact you in response to questions and solicit feedback and input from you.
- enable Care Seekers and Care Providers to search based on the Personal Information the other has made available on the Site, and the information others have provided about them.
- connect Care Seekers with Care Providers that appear to meet their needs and preferences.
- enable Registered Users to search for, find, interact, connect and share information with other Registered Users they may have an interest in interacting with.
- enable Registered Users who connect to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth to see which of their OAuth friends who have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth are Registered Users or friends with other Registered Users who have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth.
- otherwise help protect the safety and integrity of the Site and FamilyConnect.com users.
- target promotional messages or content on the Site, via email or other ads on FamilyConnect.com or third party sites.
○ Non Personal Information
- In general, we use the Non Personal Information we collect to help us improve our Services and customize the user experience, such as by providing targeted useful features and promotions based on the type of Service you seek. We also aggregate the information collected via cookies and similar technologies to use in statistical analysis to help us track trends, evaluate the effectiveness of our ads and analyze patterns in the use of FamilyConnect.com.
V. How We Share Information
- In addition to using the information collected by FamilyConnect.com for the purposes described above, we may also share your information with various third parties, as described below. Please review our sharing policy closely, especially with respect to your Personal Information. By using our Site or our Services, you agree to allow us to share the Personal Information you provide to us in the ways described below. Your ability to make changes to what information is shared is described below in Section IV.
○ Personal Information
1. With All Site Visitors and Registered Users
- If you are seeking to swap care, in order to increase your chances of finding a job or finding the care you need, we share with Site Visitors and Registered Users the information that is included in your job posting or profile, aside from your contact information, as well as the following registration information, which we may include in your job posting or profile: your first name, first initial of your last name, city, state, profile picture, and if you are a Care Provider, your gender and, unless you opt-out, your age. With certain exceptions, you choose how much detail you want to include in either your job posting or your profile; the more information you share, however, the better chance you have of finding either care or a job. We may also share on your profile or job posting any company reviews you have posted on our Site and whether you have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth. If you are a Care Provider and have elected to verify certain information with FamilyConnect.com or to have a background check performed, we may also disclose that information in your profile in addition to any payment or payroll preferences you have indicated.
- If you post information in a FamilyConnect.com online group forum, such as the Working Moms Group, that information may be viewed by any Site Visitor or Registered User who accesses the forum.
- We may display personal testimonials of Registered Users and other endorsements on our Site or in other marking materials. These testimonials or endorsements may include Non Personal Information such as the Registered User’s first name, first initial of last name, town and state. With a Registered User’s consent, we may include Personal Information such as their full name.
5. With other Registered Users and corporate providers
- In addition to the information that is provided to all visitors to FamilyConnect.com, Care Provider reviews and references are made available to certain Registered Users. If you are a Care Provider, your phone number will be visible to certain Registered Users if you elect to share it in your profile. In addition, your approximate residential location (through Google map plotting) is made available to certain Registered Users unless you elect to keep that information confidential.
- If you are seeking to swap care, you will appear in search result listings if you match the search criteria used by a Care Provider or Care Seeker, as applicable. Similarly, you may appear in emails sent to Care Providers or Care Seekers in your area. Care Seekers may opt-out of being included in Care Provider search results and in certain emails sent to Care Providers. In addition, if you are a Care Seeker and you view the profile of certain Care Providers, those Care Providers will be able to see that you have viewed their profiles unless you opt-out of that information sharing.
- If you are a Registered User, your FamilyConnect.com online status may be made available to other Registered Users unless you elect to keep that information confidential.
- If you connect to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth, we may allow any of your OAuth friends who have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth to see that you are a Registered User. In addition, other Registered Users who have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth will be able to see if you are friends with any of their OAuth friends or if you share certain affinities or interests with them.
- If you register for our Karoo mobile application, other Registered Users of that application may search for you by name, email address or other information. If they do, your name and profile photo will appear in the search results list and the searcher may contact you through the application to request to join your network or invite you to join theirs. No other Personal Information on the application will be shared with the Registered User unless you expressly allow them into your Karoo network. However, all information you post to the Karoo application will be available to all members of your network, including your location when you post to the application if you have given us permission to access and collect your location information.
- If we terminate your registration for any reason, we reserve the right to send a notice of your termination to other Registered Users with whom we believe you have corresponded.
13. With Vendors/Service Providers
- We also share Personal Information with vendors who perform services on behalf of FamilyConnect.com, including without limitation vendors who provide email services, demographic information, or geo-location information, vendors who perform background checks or verification checks, vendors who process credit card payments, vendors who run classified advertising businesses, and vendors who send SMS messages to Registered Users’ mobile phone numbers, in each case to the extent applicable. FamilyConnect.com has selected vendors who maintain high standards with respect to privacy and agree to use the Personal Information only to perform specific services on behalf of FamilyConnect.com.
15. With listings in Google and other public search engines
- In an effort to further facilitate the ability for Care Seekers or Care Providers to find a caregiver or job, selected information contained in Care Seeker job postings and Care Provider profiles, which may include photo, first name, first initial of last name, city, state, and job/provider description, may also be shared with third party search engines and other vendors who run classified advertising businesses, and thus may be listed in third party web site search results (e.g., Google), which would make that information available to the public and allow them to link to your FamilyConnect.com posting. Registered Users can opt-out of this sharing by adjusting their account settings. If you post information in a FamilyConnect.com online group forum, such as the Working Moms Group, your content, including your name as the contributor, may be displayed in third party search engine results and available to the public.
17. With OAuth if you connect to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth
- If you connect to FamilyConnect.com through an API, you may elect to post certain of your activities on FamilyConnect.com back to your OAuth account. You will be prompted to decide whether or not to share those FamilyConnect.com activities back to your OAuth account.
19. With third parties to send you direct mail from other companies
We may share certain of your Personal Information, such as your name, postal address and other information we know about you such as your age, presence of children and the type of care you are looking for to third parties in the business of facilitating communications, such as direct mail brokers, to enable them to send you postal mail advertisements from companies whose products we believe may be of interest to you. We do not share email addresses for this purpose, and we do not allow these third parties to provide your personal information directly to the companies whose products are being advertised. If you do not want to receive these advertisements and prefer that we do not share your information with these third party communication facilitators for that purpose, you may opt-out by adjusting your account settings.
20. As required by law or for reasons of safety
- You acknowledge and agree that we may disclose information we’ve collected about you if required to do so by law or if we, in our sole discretion, believe that disclosure is reasonable to comply with the law, requests or orders from law enforcement, or any legal process (whether or not such disclosure is required by applicable law), or to protect or defend FamilyConnect.com’s, or a third party’s, rights or property. We may also reserve the right to disclose information we’ve collected about you for purposes of protecting the health and safety of our community and Registered Users, such as in the case of risk of harm or violence against any person (including you).
22. With our affiliates
- You acknowledge and agree that to the maximum extent permitted by law we may disclose any of the information we’ve collected about you to any of our affiliates or subsidiaries, for the purposes of providing you with the Services, operating the Site, and our other commercial purposes.
24. With Your Consent
- We also may share your Personal Information with a third party if you consent to the sharing.
○ Background checks
- com offers various background check services from consumer reporting agencies. You can order a Motor Vehicle Records Check, Criminal Records Check or Criminal+ MVR Check in response to a request by a Care Seeker who is considering hiring you. If the check comes back with no issues, we will forward the check to the Care Seeker who requested it. If the results of a Motor Vehicle Records Check or Criminal Records Check result in FamilyConnect.com suspending or terminating your account, that information will not be shared with other users. If you authorize a Premier Background Check to be run on you in response to a request by a Care Seeker who is considering hiring you, the results of the check will be shared directly with the Care Seeker. If you have requested a background check through FamilyConnect.com, a statement may be included in your profile to confirm that you have completed that check. However, we will not share the check or results with any other Site Visitor or Registered User unless you specifically consent. The service provider who completes the background check may send the results to you by email or postal mail.
- You acknowledge that sensitive material may be included in your background check, and that you are responsible for providing us and our service provider (if applicable) with correct mailing information.
○ Non Personal Information
○ Business transactions
VII. Your Choices Regarding the Sharing of your Personal Information
- Registered Users have control over what optional Personal Information they choose to share with us when utilizing our Services (such as pictures, certain details in a job description or profile, etc.).
- In addition, Registered Users have the following opt out choices with respect to the sharing of their Personal Information:
- Registered Users can opt out of having their FamilyConnect.com online status visible to other Registered Users who are on FamilyConnect.com.
- Registered Users can opt out of having information contained in their job postings or caregiver profiles shared with third party web sites to be listed in third party search engine results such as Google.
- Registered Users who have connected to FamilyConnect.com through OAuth may subsequently opt out of having certain of their OAuth information shared with FamilyConnect.com and certain of their FamilyConnect.com information shared with OAuth by disabling OAuth Connect in their account settings.
- If a Care Provider has chosen to have their phone number made available to other Registered Users but later decides they no longer wish to make it available, they may change their election.
- Care Providers can opt out of having their approximate residential location (through Google map plotting) visible to Registered Users by calling Member Care at 877-227-3115.
- Care Providers can opt out of having their age visible to Registered Users.
- Care Seekers can opt out of appearing in Care Provider search results and in certain Care Provider emails by adjusting their account settings to not allow Care Providers to initiate contact with them. They can also opt out of allowing Care Providers see that they have viewed the Care Providers’ profiles.
- Registered Users can opt out of our sharing their Personal Information with third party communication facilitators who may send them direct mail solicitations on behalf of other companies by adjusting your or sending us an email and requesting that we opt you out of information sharing.
- Users of a FamilyConnect.com mobile application, who have given FamilyConnect.com permission to access certain information from their mobile device such as their location, may subsequently opt out of that information sharing by adjusting the settings in their mobile device.
- Except as otherwise provided above, you may call Member Care at 877-227-3115, or adjust your account settings to opt out of any of the above information sharing that is applicable to your account. Your opt out preferences will take effect within 10 days of receipt of your request.
XI. Your Communication Choices
- By becoming a FamilyConnect.com Registered User, you are consenting to receive certain email communications from us, such as special offers, tips and advice, notifications of new Care Seekers or Care Providers in your area, customer surveys and administrative notices.
- You may also opt-out of receiving unsolicited marketing calls from us regarding your FamilyConnect.com account by adjusting your settings in your account settings.
- If you have opted in to receive text messages from us but would now like to opt out, you may do so by adjusting your settings in your account settings. You also have a choice to stop us from contacting you by phone for marketing purposes by adjusting your settings in your account settings.
- If you are a Care Seeker, certain Care Providers may initiate contact with you directly using the messaging features of the FamilyConnect.com Site. You have an option at any time to stop permitting Care Providers from initiating contact with you by adjusting your settings in your account settings.
XVII. Changing or Removing your Personal Information and Closing your Account
- If the Personal Information you provided when you registered changes, you may update this information by logging into your account and accessing your account settings. If you would like to remove some of the Personal Information you have posted on the Site, such as information you posted in profiles and job postings, you may do so by editing or deleting that item in your My Profile & Setting area or your My Job area. To request removal of other Personal Information you have voluntarily posted on our Site, such as information you may have posted in online group forums, contact support@FamilyConnect.com. In some cases, we may not be able to reasonably accommodate your request to remove your Personal Information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
- If you no longer wish to participate in our Services you may close your account directly in the account settings portion of your account.
- If you close your FamilyConnect.com account, we will remove your name and other Personal Information from our publicly viewable database. If you close your account, we have no obligation to retain your information, and may delete any or all of your account information without liability. However, we may retain information related to you if we believe it may be necessary to prevent fraud or future abuse, or for legitimate business purposes, such as analysis of aggregated, Non Personal Information, account recovery, auditing our records, enforcing our rights and obligations under our agreements or if required by law. FamilyConnect.com may also retain and use your information if necessary to provide the Services to other Registered Users. For example, just as an email you may send to another person through an email service provider resides in that person’s inbox even after you delete it from your sent files or close your account, emails you send to others through FamilyConnect.com to other Users, as well as your contributions to FamilyConnect.com groups, may remain visible to others after you have closed your account. Similarly, other information you have shared with others, or that others have copied, may also remain visible. FamilyConnect.com disclaims any liability in relation to the deletion or retention (subject to the terms herein) of information or any obligation not to delete the information. FamilyConnect.com does not control when search engines update their search index or cache, which may contain certain job post, profile or other information that has since been removed from FamilyConnect.com’s Site.
XXI. Collection of Information from Children
- com’s Site and Services are not intended for individuals under the age of 14. Accordingly, FamilyConnect.com does not knowingly collect, either online or offline, personal information from individuals under the age of 14.
XXIII. How We Protect Information
- We have implemented industry-recognized safeguards to help protect your information from unauthorized access. These safeguards include:
- com uses SSL (Secure Socket Layer), the industry standard method for computers to communicate securely without risk of manipulation or recipient impersonation. We utilize SSL in the online registration process, in the login process, and in the account management section of the Site.
- com uses strong encryption technology to protect sensitive information.
- com employs firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and system monitoring to protect against unauthorized access of our systems.
- Your user accounts are also protected by the password you use to access your online account with FamilyConnect.com, and we urge you to take steps to keep your password safe. If you feel your password has been compromised, you should change it immediately by logging into your account and visiting the “My Profile & Settings” section. After you have finished using our Site, you should log out of your FamilyConnect.com account and exit your browser.
- WE TAKE THESE PRECAUTIONS IN AN EFFORT TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION AGAINST SECURITY BREACHES. HOWEVER, THIS IS NOT A GUARANTEE THAT SUCH INFORMATION MAY NOT BE ACCESSED, DISCLOSED, ALTERED, OR DESTROYED BY BREACH OF SUCH FIREWALLS AND SECURE SERVER SOFTWARE. BY USING OUR SITE, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE TO ASSUME THESE RISKS.
XXVII. Links to Other Websites
- com reserves the right to change this policy and our Terms of Service at any time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat Personal Information by sending a notice to the email address registered in your account, or by placing a prominent notice on our Site, so that you can choose whether to continue using our Services. Significant changes will go into effect 30 days after we notify. Non-material changes or clarifications will take effect immediately upon posting of the updated policy on our Site. You should periodically check www.FamilyConnect.com/privacy for updates. Your use of the Site or the Services after such effective date will constitute acceptance by you of such changes.
XXXI. Contact Us
- Legal Department
- com+++++, Inc.
- 123 Street
- Dallas TX, 64064